Here is a list of 5 things you need to know today:
1. Sunny with a Chance of Showers: According to the National Weather Service, today will be partly sunny with a high near 85 degrees. There is a 40 percent chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Some of the storms could produce small hail and gusty winds. Tonight, expect scattered showers and thunderstorms mainly before 8pm. The rest of the night will be mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming clear, with a low around 62 degrees. There will be a west wind between 10 and 14 mph.
2. Gunning for a Title: The Rumson-Fair Haven Regional High School Boy's lacrosse team is playing in the conference championship game tonight on the St. John Vienny turf vs. Jackson Memorial High School. In its third straight trip to the Shore Conference Tournament final, the Bulldog boys lacrosse team is looking for its first SCT championship since 2007. The Bulldogs have the top-seed and Jackson is the second-seed. The game starts at 5:00 p.m. Click to read a preview of this game.
3. Smart Dawg: Evan Benkert, the 2010 RFH Bulldog tight end, was recognized as a scholar-athlete. The New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association honored 335 high school athletes total and awarded $120,000 in college scholarships at the organization’s 18th Annual Scholar-Athletes Luncheon on Sunday, May 15. More than 1,300 athletes, parents, coaches and school officials attended the event at the Pines Manor in Edison. Click to read more about this accomplishment and see what other Monmouth County athletes made the grade.
4. Fourteen and Talented: Jake Tavill of Rumson is a passionate aspiring musician who has more than 200 likes on his Facebook page and more than 500 fans registered on his Reverb Nation account. The catch: he’s only fourteen. This summer he is working on releasing and album. Click to read more about this Whiz Kid!
5. Nature Walk: Want to enjoy everything that spring has to offers? Head down to the Natural Area of Fair Haven Fields at 6:00 p.m. for a . Meet in the Ridge Road Parking Lot. The walk will be led by Jeff Dement. It is free and there is no registration required. Jeff will talk about the trees seen while walking the trails of the Natural Area. This event will not take place if there are thunderstorms.