22 Aug 2014
75° Mostly Cloudy
Patch Instagram photo by millibaby95

Council Passes Weprin's Carbon Monoxide Detector Bill

Legislation would require property owners to install detectors that chirp when they need to be replaced.

Council Passes Weprin's Carbon Monoxide Detector Bill Council Passes Weprin's Carbon Monoxide Detector Bill

The City Council has passed a bill sponsored by Councilman Mark Weprin, D-Oakland Gardens, that will require property owners to replace existing carbon monoxide detectors with ones that provide audible warning noises.

Weprin said newer CO detectors are designed to make chirping noises when they need to be replaced.

His bill, which was passed yesterday by the council, requires that home and property owners install the new detectors.

“Exposure to carbon monoxide is fatal,” Weprin said. “This law puts safety first and will save lives by requiring CO detectors with audible reminders that they need to be replaced.”

Inhalation of the toxic gas causes 200 deaths per year in the United States, the councilman said. A 2004 city law requires that building owners provide and install at least one CO alarm within each dwelling unit.

Share This Article