2 lbs raw shrimp (washed, peeled deveined and chopped)
1 medium onion
3 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1/2 tsp of Cayenne Pepper
15 oz can of diced tomato
2 cups Colby Jack cheese (shredded)
2 cup of Manchego cheese (shredded)
1 bunch of cilantro
1 lb corn flour,
1 tablespoon of flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cream
1 teaspoon milk
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of Tabasco sauce
2 jalapeños, prepared and chopped
Salt and pepper
1. Peel, wash, devein, and then chop shrimp.
2. Marinate raw shrimps in the juice of 2 squeezed limes for 15-20 minutes.
3. Sautee onions, jalapeño, and garlic in olive oil until translucent.
4. Toss in the shrimp and cook until pink.
5. Add cumin, cayenne pepper and Tabasco sauce with shrimp and let everything simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Remove shrimp from frying pan and allow it to cool.
7. Combine can of tomatoes, shredded cheeses, shrimps, juice from 2 remaining limes (squeezed) and cilantro in a large bowl.
1. Mix corn flour, regular flour, baking powder, salt, cream, milk and butter in a large bowl
2. Add milk until dough is a nice texture.
3. Knead dough until smooth and moist
4. Cover the bowl and allow it to rest for 2 hours.
1. Roll the dough into 1 1/2-inch balls,
2. Put dough balls in between two sheets of wax paper, then flatten them into a nice small tortilla shape.
3. Place 2 tablespoons of filling into each flattened tortilla
4. Fold dough around filling and crimp edges with a fork.
5. Fry empanadas on high heat in canola oil, until they are brown and crunchy.
Makes around 20 empanadas