Week in Review: Montauk Residents Speak Out; Boater's Death Investigated
Also this week, safety recommendations released for South Fork roadways.
1. Camp Invention Encourage Kids In Science And Math
Camp Invention, introduced in 1990, prides itself on “[immersing and engaging] its participants through hands-on activities in science, technology, engineering and math.” Nationwide, the camp serves over 80,000 students in 1,200 schools.
2. Roundtable Releases South Fork Highway Safety Recommendations
A roundtable of lawmakers, safety experts and emergency responders released its findings Friday on how safety for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians can be improved across the region.
3. Scott Schwartz Named Artistic Director at Bay Street Theatre
Bay Street Theatre is making good on its promise to change directions in 2013 with the appointment of new Artistic Director Scott Schwartz.
4. VIDEO: Montauk Farmers Market Grows
Montauk's Farmers Market takes place every Thursday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the village green.
5. VIDEO: What Happened To Montauk?
It's the height of tourist season, but this year the traffic is worse, the parties are wilder and local residents are starting to get hot under the collar.
6. Fort Pond House Declared a Park
The Concerned Citizens of Montauk are celebrating a victory today, after a Tuesday decision by the East Hampton Town Board removed Fort Pond House from the real estate market, reclassifying the 4-acre plot of land as a park.
7. Library Director: Gwyneth Paltrow Didn't Disrupt Authors
Organizers dispute reports that Gwyneth Paltrow disrupted Authors Night in East Hampton on Saturday night with her presence, according to The Wall Street Journal.
8. Outdoors Store Going Out of Business
After 17 years in business on the South Fork, but only five months in East Hampton, the Outdoors store will close up shop at the end of next month.
9. Real Estate Agents Offering Free Flyovers for Wealthy
When you have tens of millions of dollars to spend on a new home, it's not hard to get Hamptons real estate agents' attention — but what are those agents doing to get your attention?
10. Swimmer Reported Missing in East Hampton Hid During Rescue
While rescuers searched for a woman whose husband said she fell overboard from their boat off Montauk in the early hours Monday, other rescuers combed the waters off East Hampton for another missing person.
But the man, who reportedly went missing after he took a swim in front of the Maidstone Club, turned up a two hours later — found hiding in the bushes at his East Hampton house, village police said on Monday.
11. Southampton Hospital Breaks Ground on Heart, Stroke Center
Thanks to a $5 million gift from Audrey and Martin Gruss, Southampton Hospital broke ground Monday on a new heart and stroke center that will be named for the benefactors.
12. Homicide Detectives Investigating Boater's Death
While homicide detectives investigate the death of a boater reported missing off Montauk's shoreline this weekend, they publicly identified the woman late Sunday night.