Unlocked and even locked cars continue to be targeted by thieves around Nassau County, authorities say.
One victim told Patch her car was broken into on a recent Wednesday evening while she was nearby cheering on her 10-year old daughter during a Little League game at Cherry Valley Field in Garden City Park.
“I pulled up and parked at 5:58, [and] walked to the field,” the woman said. “At 6:08 my husband texted me from the parking lot that my passenger side glass was completely shattered. Unfortunately, I foolishly left my pocketbook in the car. It happened within 8 minutes time.”
“Scary that our children are playing ball with people like this lurking nearby,” she noted.
Nassau County Police reported the following incidents in and around the North Shore between July 2-9, with many occurring overnight.
- July 2-3 Westbury; items stolen from unlocked car
- July 3-8 Mineola; passenger-side lock reported damaged, items stolen from car
- July 5-6 Manhasset; passenger-side window reportedly smashed with a rock items stolen
- July 6, North New Hyde Park; passenger-side window of vehicle reportedly smashed, items stolen
- July 6, North Hills; items stolen from car
- July 6-7 Westbury; items stolen from car
- July 7, Thomsaston; driver side of window reportedly broken into, items stolen from car.
- July 7 Manhasset; items stolen from car
- July 7-8 Westbury; rims stolen from car
- July 7-9 New Hyde Park; items stolen from car
- July 8 - 9 New Hyde Park; items stolen from car
- July 8-9 Westbury; items stolen from car
- July 9, Manhasset; items stolen from car