Generally we like to use this space for upcoming events that allow you to plan ahead. But two items came up this week that might be too good to pass up on the spur of the moment:
And both of Friday's events are inexpensive and accessible.
Here's this week's picks:
First Friday Celebration at Heckscher Museum
- "First Friday" is a cause for celebration at The Heckscher Museum of Art in Huntington where, tonight, the museum’s exhibitions can be seen during extended viewing hours. from 4-8:30 p.m., highlighted by a special free musical performance In celebration of Black History Month, the museum presents the soulful sound of "Black & Tan:" Paul Hefner on the keyboard and the vocals of Tara Nova performing smooth jazz favorites.
- Price: Town of Huntington residents: $6, $4 for seniors and students. Slightly more for non-residents.
- Info: Friday extended hours: 4-8:30 p.m; music at 7 p.m. For more see the Heckscher's web site here.
Musical Theater, Pop and Jazz, Cafe' Style
- It's Friday night Cafe Music at the Dolphin Cafe'in Port Washington, an intimate venue with great coffee and a wide range of weekly musical offerings. Tonight it's an evening of musical theater, pop and jazz and featuring music ranging from My Fair Lady throughPippin and Hair.
- Price: Performance is free; donations suggested (and deserving) for the musicians; great coffee and pastries available. The Dolphin is also a book store with a wide selection.
- Info: With vocal performances by Heather Foye, Kate Hughes and Raquel Chavez, accompanied by Solomon Hoffman on piano. Tonight's performance: 7 - 8:30 p.m.; The Dolphin Bookshop and Café, 299 Main St., Port Washington.
Upcoming: Martin Short at NYCB Theatre
- Live Nation presents comedian and impressionist Martin Short at the NYCB Theatre at Westbury Saturday, March 9 at 8 p.m. Short gained national attention through his work on Saturday Night Live and later became a key player in several major motion picture.
- Price: Tickets are $79.50, $49.50 and $39.50 plus service charges .
- Info: Tickets available online at www.ticketmaster.com, charge by phone at 800-745-3000 or at the Westbury box office. For more information, visit: www.thetheatreatwestbury.com.
About this column: "Long Island Culture" is a new Patch Friday feature highlighting upcoming cultural and arts events around our region. Add yours in the comment section below and to our events calendar. You can also pitch your best offerings to Local Editor Joe Dowd at firstname.lastname@example.org.