Jul 29, 2014

Report: Suspect in Jones Killing Left a Note

The Daily News is reporting Orlando Orea, the man suspected of killing youth soccer coach Michael Jones, left a note to his family before fleeing the country.

Report: Suspect in Jones Killing Left a Note

The suspected killer of youth soccer coach Michael Jones left a note saying he was sorry before fleeing the country earlier this week, according to a report from The Daily News, but what, exactly, he was apologizing for remains a mystery.

Orlando Orea reportedly left the country for Mexico Tuesday, hours before police named him as a suspect in the murder and placed him on a no-fly list.

NYPD Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly told the newspaper Thursday that Orea left a note saying "I love you guys" and "I hope you can forgive me". Police have not indicated whether the suspect was asking for forgiveness for the murder, or for leaving his friends and family behind, the newspaper reported.

Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.

The 32-year-old Orea lived with his brother in Ridgewood, Queens, according to the report. He remains at large.

Kelly indicated his department could be sending personel into Mexico in the near future, according to the Daily News Report.

Jones, 25, was stabbed at about 4:30 a.m. near Union Sq., according to a police spokesperson. The West Harrison man was "chopped multiple times" and had his ear cut off, police said.

Jones was declared dead at Bellevue Hospital after he was found on the sidewalk on West 14th Street just off Fifth and Sixth avenues.

Police released a video of the suspect. The film shows a man with dark hair and a ponytail, dressed in black pants and a black jacket, walking down a Greenwich Village sidewalk. 

The Daily News is reporting police believe Orea may have confused Jones for a different man he was fueding with inside a nearby bar. 

Jones, who came to the United States from England, had worked as a youth soccer coach for the New York Red Bulls. He had been living in West Harrison.

Friends mourned his death during a 90-minute vigil in White Plains Wednesday morning.

Don’t miss updates from Patch!