The Mamaroneck School District will now be accepting applications for Universal Pre-Kindergarten (Pre-K) at Central School through March 1, according to District Spokesperson Debbie Manetta.
Students must reside in the Mamaroneck School District and be age 4 by 12/31/13. To access the application and additional information about the program, please visit the District's website here. Many of the documents are also available in Spanish.
The completed application packet—which includes the child's birth certificate, immunization record and proofs of residency in the school district—must be returned to the Central School office on or before March 1. If more applications are received than there are open spots in the program, a public lottery will be held on March 15 at Central School.
New York State Universal Pre-K is organized into five domains based on Common Core Standards. They include (excerpted from the NY State Department of Education website):
- Approaches to Learning – How children become involved in learning and acquiring knowledge.
- Physical Development and Health – Children’s physical health and ability to engage in daily activities.
- Social and Emotional Development – The emotional competence and ability to form positive relationships that give meaning to children’s experiences in the home, school, and larger community.
- Communication, Language, and Literacy – How children understand, create, and communicate meaning.
- Cognition and Knowledge of the World – What children need to know and understand about their world and how they apply what they know. This domain is a direct reflection of the content competencies and knowledge of the Common Core Learning Standards.
More information on the program can be found here. For further information or assistance in completing the application please contact Meryl Schaffer, social worker or Olga Ochoa, bilingual liaison at 914-220-3414.