Singing, costumed pets, dramatic battles and money. No, we're not talking about one of this year's high school musicals, just some of the top stories in Malverne and West Hempstead over the last 24 hours.
Find out more in a look at the top headlines for Oct. 20.
- Board Appreciation: Students from each of the Malverne public schools showered the Board of Education with special gifts at Tuesday's meeting including song, poetry and construction debris. Check out the video to learn more. Plus, learn what else was discussed at the meeting later today.
- Audit Report: The annual audit was a topic of discussion at the West Hempstead school board meeting Tuesday night. See what an external auditor had to say about the district's latest financial reports .
- Marching Band Festival: The Pride of Malverne High School will kick off tonight's segment of the Newsday Marching Band Festival at Hofstra University, which starts at 7:30 p.m. Be there to show your support!
- Fall Festival: Malverne will hold its annual Fall Festival and Classic Car Show on Sunday, Oct. 23, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event will feature a bake-off, pet parade and costume contest, craft vendors, vintage automobiles, a scavenger hunt, dancers and more. for a preview of the festival, including a schedule of activities.
- Girls Volleyball: Malverne's varsity girls volleyball came from behind to defeat Valley Stream North Tuesday in a dramatic five-game match. for details. Meanwhile, over in West Hempstead the Lady Rams also found themselves in a nail-biting five-game battle with East Rockaway, which will premiere on MSG Varsity tonight. Check out game photos later today.