Nassau County Police and County Executive Ed Mangano have issued a warning to residents, urging citizens to be vigilant when making purchases via social media websites such as Craigslist, Facebook and Ebay.
Police said that while the overwhelming majority of online users are trustworthy and well-intentioned, residents should take the same common sense precautions online as you would offline.
Police said that when meeting someone for the first time, residents should remember the following:
- Insist on a public meeting place, preferably indoors with other people around.
- Do not meet late at night, or in a secluded place.
- Never invite strangers into your home.
- Be especially careful when buying/selling high value items.
- Tell a friend or family member where you're going.
- Consider having a friend accompany you.
- Trust your instincts.
"This information is being provided to residents to make them
aware of these ongoing scams," the release said. "If
you believe you may have been a victim of any of these scams, please call 911
Anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of individual(s) responsible are asked to call Nassau County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS (8477). All calls remain anonymous.