From Michael Phelps winning eight gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics to Nadia Comăneci receiving the first perfect 10 in 1976, there have been several unforgettable moments in Olympic history.
As hundreds of world-class athletes prepare to compete in the 2012 Summer Olympic Games beginning July 27, Patch is celebrating the start of the games by posting Olympic trivia questions all this week.
Select your answers in the comments below. We'll post the correct answers Monday. Answers to Tuesday's quiz are below this one:
- Which author of the seminal book on baby and child care was also a gold medalist.
- Dr. Benjamin Spock
- Dr. Michael Cohen
- C. R. Partridge
- Jane Mattes
2. How long is the route for the marathon event in the 2012 Olympics?
- 8 miles
- 11.2 miles
- 26.3 miles
- 40.6 miles
3. Who lit the torch to start the Games in Atlanta?
- Wayne Gretzky
- Cathy Freeman
- Muhammad Ali
- Ken Henry
4. What is the name of the mascot of the 2012 Games?
Answers to Tuesday's quiz:
1) Tarzan.Johnny Weismuller, who won two swimming gold medals, in 1924 and in 1928.Buster Crabbe, who won a swimming bronze in 1928.Hermann Brix, who won silver in the shot put in 1928.Glen Morris, who took gold in the decathlon in 1936.
2) Golf. It was an Olympic event in 1900 and 1904.
3) He won all these medals even though he had a wooden leg.
Check out our Directory and Events Calendar for listings of places where you can learn and participate in Olympic sports ranging from basketball to karate, gymnastics, swimming and more.