Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips‚ just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you!
- When/Where: 6:30 p.m. on Monda, Oct. 8 at the Nanuet Library.
- Why Go: Enjoy a movie on our big screen: “Lady and the Tramp”. Bring blankets, pillows, and whatever makes you most comfortable. The library will provide snacks, but feel free to bring your own. A grown up must accompany children into the Library and remain with them in the Community Room during the movie presentation.
- Cost/Contact: No registration required. Free / Nanuet Library
Teen Author Event
- When/Where: Barnes and Noble in Nanuet on Sunday, Oct. 7 at 4 p.m.
- Why Go: Local author/actress/screenwriter Emmy Laybourne joins us to discuss and sign her debut young adult novel Monument 14.
- Cost/Contact: Free—Barnes and Noble
- When/Where: Barnes and Noble in Nanuet on Wednesday, Oct. 10 at 11 a.m.
- Why Go: Join Ms. Mariann for a fun-filled hour of Storytime in the Children's Department. Storytime runs every Wednesday during the summer.
- Cost/Contact: Free—Barnes and Noble
Story Time at the J!
- When/Where: Oct. 4 from noon - 1 p.m. at JCC of Rockland
- Why Go: Bond with your little one and with other parents over a story. Mingle with other parents, listen to child-friendly books and share parenting stories. Healthy snacks will be served. This event is for children 1-24 months with adult
- Cost/Contact: Free JCC of Rockland
- When/Where: Oct. 5-8 from at the Barnes & Noble at the Palisades Center
- Why Go: Join the nationwide Star Wars Reads Day celebration on Saturday with events ranging from readings, crafts and activities! This event is for kids and teens
- Cost/Contact: Free http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/store/2905
Pearl River Day
- When/Where: Saturday, Oct. 6 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Central Ave. and Main Street in Pearl River.
- Why Go: Enjoy shopping, food, music, entertainment, demonstration, face painting, pumpkin painting, balloon twisting, bouncy attractions and more in the heart of Pearl River for this event sponsored by the Pearl River Chamber of Commerce. Central Avenue will be closed from John Street to Main Street. William Street will be closed between Franklin Ave. and East Washington Ave.
- Cost/Contact: Free
NYPD Baseball Team Clinic
- When/Where: Saturday, Oct. 6 at 11 a.m. at the South Orangetown Little League Fields in Orangeburg.
- Why Go: On behalf of Autism Speaks, members of the New York City Police Department's Baseball Team are donating their time to run a baseball clinic for children ages 6 through 13, with or without disabilities. South Orangetown Little League donated the use of its fields for this fundraiser, The rain date is Sept. 7. There will also be an auction and snacks and beverages will be available.
- Cost/Contact: $25 per child in advance, $30 the day of the clinic. For more information, email Virginia.firstname.lastname@example.org or call 914-934-5138.
- When/Where: Saturday, Oct. 6 at 5 p.m./St John Episcopal Church, 365 Strawtown Rd, New City
- Why Go: The Blessing of the Animals for the feast of St. Francis of Assisi will take place at the 5 p.m. service at St. John's Episcopal Church. All leashed or contained pets are welcome.
- Cost/Contact: Free/845-634-3601
- What/When: Saturday, Oct. 6 at 10 a.m. until 4 p.m./Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, 61 Route 9W, Palisades
- Why Go: Whether you're an aspiring young scientist or a long-time science enthusiast, you're sure to enjoy Lamont-Doherty's Open House. Tour a lab, participate in hands-on earth science demonstrations, and learn from world-renowned researchers about their latest discoveries.
- Cost/Contact: Open House is free and open to the public, with a $5 suggested contribution. No registration required. Further event information will be posted as it becomes available. Become a fan on Facebook to receive additional updates. For questions please email: events@LDEO.columbia.edu or call 845-365-8998.