The New Hyde Park-Garden City Park Board of Education held a meeting on Monday, March 11. Here are some of the things you may have missed.
- The board accepted a $2,500 grant from the Red Robin Foundation U-Act Committee which will be used towards anti-bullying projects. Judith LaRocca was recognized for her work in obtaining the grant.
- The board accepted the following grants from the Garden City Park PTA: $450 for the cultural arts assembly “Mad Science of LI (Marvels of Motion)”; $745 for the cultural arts assembly “The Storycrafters.”
- The board accepted the resignations of the following substitute teachers: Pamela Sweeney, Thomas Liverani, Michael Bannanni, Erik Holzkamp, Steven Vitulli, Marie DePietro, Annette Skaliotis.
- The board appointed the following at substitute teachers: Jennifer Banks, Pamela Franzese.
The board approved the following resignations:
- clerk typist (effective Nov. 15, 2013): Patricia Warren
- office monitor (effective March 22, 2013): Breda Schneider
- school nurse (effective March 12, 2013): Mary Coscino
- permanent cafeteria monitor (effective March 1, 2013): Lisa Dziardziel, Aracely Rodriguez
- substitute cafeteria/door monitors (effective March 12, 2013): Wayne Bileski, Sanober Shahab, Ada Diminich, Angela Nugent, Tara Roessler
- substitute school nurse (effective March 12, 2013): Barbara Leonard
- substitute security guard: Antonino Palermo.
The board approved the following appointments:
- substitute cafeteria/ door monitor (effective March 12, 2013: Barbara Bisogno, Roshani Singh, Theresa Dottalio, Susan Podstupka, Jeanine Cohen
- substitute cafeteria monitor (effective March 12, 2013): Lisa Dziardziel
- substitute classroom aides (effective March 12, 2013): Christine Bobayo, John Mundy, Azra Shaikh, Annette Skaliotis, Lynda Becskehazy, Joseph Sciarrotto
- board of registry: Dorothy LaBruna, Joan Simonetti
- clerks and/or inspectors for annual district voting: Teresa Yuzzi, Tom Egan
- permanent cafeteria monitors (effective March 12, 2013): Michele Zatz, Correna Fernandez, Joyce Sarro.
- The following district policies were adopted after their second readings: School District Budget Hearing, Budget Adoption, Contingency Budget, Staff Use of Computerized Information Resources.
- First readings of were held on the following district policies: Appointments and Designations by the Board of Education, Appointment and Duties of the Claims Auditor, Duties of the School Physician/Nurse Practitioner, Regular Board Meetings, Use of School Facilities, Materials and Equipment, Public Access to Records, Code of Conduct on School Property, Non Discrimination and Anti-Harassment in the School District, Sexual Harassment of District Personnel.
- The board approved the following contracts: Jane Leslie – pianist for NYSSMA performance; Garden City Park PTA for cultural arts assemblies “Mad Science of LI (Marvels of Motion)” and “The Storycrafters.”
- A cooperative Nassau County bid contract with JC Broderick for AHERA inspections for asbestos and lead compliance was approved.
Other Board News
- The following fundraisers were approved:
- Hillside Grade School: Lip Sync Festival, Principal for a Day, Mother’s Day Plant Sale, Father’s Day Sale, Family Picnic
- Garden City Park School: school dance – Sock Hop Family Fun Night
- New Hyde Park Road School: Bobbi and the Strays – help animal shelter in Freeport.
- A request from the Merillon Athletic Association to use the Manor Oaks and Hillside Grade School bands to participate in the Merillon Opening Day parade on Saturday, April 6, 2013 at 9:30 a.m. was approved. A request from the VFW for the New Hyde Park Road School and Garden City Park School bands to participate in the Memorial Day parade on Monday, May 27, 2013 at 10 a.m. was approved.
- The 2013-14 school calendar was approved.
The next meeting of the New Hyde Park-Garden City Park Board of Education is Monday, April 8 at 8 p.m. at Manor Oaks.