This last week of November features the following notable events. Click here to view our full calendar of events, and go to this link to find out how to upload events of your own.
• Representatives of Eastern Long Island Hospital in Greenport will unveil a spacious new ambulatory care pavilion with a ribbon cutting on Monday at 1 pm. Ambulatory surgery allows you to have elective surgery, spend minimal time recovering at the hospital and then continue recovering in the comfort of your own home, all in the same day. The new facility includes nine pre-op and post-op surgical bays, wall mounted digital TVs, private locker rooms, an extended nurses station with a spacious reception and waiting area with sweeping views of Stirling Harbor. The interior design is light and airy allowing for greater efficiency and patient comfort. With over 4,500 square feet of space, the facility is one of the largest expansions in the hospital’s 107 year history.
• Cowboy Kevin hosts North Fork Idol every Tuesday at Four Doors Down in Mattituck: North Fork Idol is an open mic held at Four Doors Down every Tuesday at 7:30 p.m., where prizes are awarded based on applause. Musical acts, singing, dancing, poetry, performance art, and even comedy are featured. Cowboy Kevin is a professional audio engineer. This venue is drum friendly and we welcome complete bands as well as solo acts. Backing tracks or "karaoke tracks" can also be accommodated through the PA if you bring your iPod.
• Don’t miss the last film of November to be featured in Floyd Memorial Library’s Free Film Fest of the fall of 2012. This Thursday at 6 p.m., the Greenport library will show “Tous les Soleils,” a 2011 French film written and directed by Philippe Claudel about a widower who has never really recovered from the death of his young wife. Call 631-477-0660 for more information.
• Get some Christmas shopping done and support your local businesses and the Southold Parent-Teachers Association this Friday at the PTA’s first-annual Ladies’ Night Out. The event happens at the Southold Elementary School and features over 40 local small businesses showcasing their wares. The vendor fee for tables is $30. Admission to the event (for the public) is $5. Contact Erin Kaelin at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• North Fork Patch blogger and social media expert Jen Lew will give a presentation on digital marketing strategies at the Shelter Island Public Library Friday night at 7 p.m. as part of the library’s ongoing Friday Night Dialogues series. Lew was voted Dan's Paper's #1 Best of the Best Marketing Firm of 2012. This event is co-sposored by the Shelter Island Chamber of Commerce. Call 631-749-0042 for more information.