The Cinema Arts Centre in Huntington has two exciting upcoming film presentations that couldn't be more different, or compelling. The films form cinematic bookends on 2000 years of political history.
Here are our picks for the best of Long Island Culture:
Meet "Koch" filmmaker Neil Barsky, or go "Anything But Silent."
- The man who brought the documentary about quintessential New York Mayor Ed Koch will appear in person at the Cinema Arts Centre in Huntington on Wednesday, Feb. 27. “Koch” will screen with filmmaker Neil Barsky for a discussion and reception
- Price: Members $10; public $15. Includes reception.
- Info: Film at 7:30 pm at Cinema Arts Centre, 423 Park Ave, Huntington 631-423-7610. Tickets can be purchased online, www.CinemaArtsCentre.org at the box office during theater hours or by calling Brown Paper Tickets at 1-800-838-3006.
ALSO:The Last Days of Pompeii
- In the doomed Roman city, a gentle blacksmith becomes a corrupt gladiator, while his son leans toward Christianity. This epic of Italian silent cinema tells a passionate tale of love and betrayal in the days leading up to the devastating eruption of Mount Vesuvius. The classic film screens Tuesday, Feb. 19 at 7:30 p.m. with live accompaniment by MoMA’s Ben Model on the Cinema’s Miditzer Theater Organ
- Price: Members $9 / Public $14.
- Info: Tickets can be purchased online, www.CinemaArtsCentre.org at the box office during theater hours or by calling Brown Paper Tickets at 1-800-838-3006. Part of the monthly "Anything But Silent Series" at Cinema Arts Centre, Huntington 631-423-7610.
"Hairspray" at Nassau Community College
- Want rousing fun at a reasonable price: The Department of Theatre and Dance presents the Broadway musical “Hairspray,” on its Mainstage Theatre March 14-17 and 20-24. The musical won eight Tonys, including Best Musical. It's a family-friendly romp with tuneful music and lots of laughs centered on the life of a lovable plus-size teen.
- Price: Tickets are $18 ($15.00 for seniors 55 or over.) Free rush tickets are available for college students with valid I.D., except for Sunday performances.
- Info: Performances of “Hairspray” are at 8 p.m. Thursday through Saturday; 3 p.m. on Sunday. For more information, or to order tickets, call the Theatre Box Office at 516.572.7676 Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Get out the headbands and leg warmers
- Xanadu, the musical comedy based on the 1980 film starring Olivia Newton John, comes to the Cultural Arts Playhouse in Roslyn beginning this weekend. The show, starring a professional New York cast, includes favorite songs from the roller-disco era, including: Evil Woman, Strange Magic, and Xanadu.
- Price: Tickets $20 in advance, $25 at the door. All performances at 44 Lincoln Ave, Roslyn Heights. Phone: 516-694-3330
- Info: Plays weekends beginning Feb. 22 through March 10; Fri. & Sat. at 8 p.m. Sundays at 3 p.m. Website here to purchase tickets.
About this column: "Long Island Culture" highlights upcoming cultural and arts events around our region. Add yours in the comment section below and to our events calendar. You can also pitch your best offerings to Local Editor Joe Dowd at email@example.com.