15 Sep 2014
54° Partly Cloudy
Patch Instagram photo by longunderwearman
Patch Instagram photo by quadrofoglio
Patch Instagram photo by athomeinmygarden
Patch Instagram photo by daniellemastersonbooks
Patch Instagram photo by healthandbeautynz
Patch Instagram photo by andreagazeapt
Patch Instagram photo by reh_22
Patch Instagram photo by athomeinmygarden
Patch Instagram photo by pespatchpsp

Woman Injured in Bayville Fire

Woman sustained burns after gas leak ignites in kitchen.

Woman Injured in Bayville Fire

A woman was hospitalized Saturday afternoon after an accidental fire in her Bayville home.

Nassau County Police and Bayville Fire Department responded to the Bayville home on Wilson Avenue at about 12:20 p.m. Saturday, police said.

According to Nassau County Police Department, a 62-year-old woman was in her kitchen when the gas burners on her stove suddenly ignited. She told police that when she attempted to extinguish the blaze, she herself caught fire, cops said. The woman's 62-year-old husband quickly smothered the flames, which had spread across her face, head, and jacket, cops said.

Get updates on local crime stories delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast  sign-up here.

Investigations revealed a leak in the flex line from the gas connection in the back of the stove, cops reported. The search also revealed that candles were being used close to the stove on the kitchen counter, police said.

The woman was airlifted to a nearby hospital for treatment of second degree burns, cops said.

The fire caused moderate damage to the house, police reported. Detectives said the woman's injuries were the only ones sustained in the fire.

Detectives say the fire has been deemed non-suspicious.

Share This Article