1. Science Talk: Astronomy on Tap + Secret Show @ The Way Station. Enjoy some suds as Astronomers reveal how they explore the universe! This series of short free public science talks by experts from Yale University, NYU, College of Staten Island and others. Topics cover everything from black holes and beyond. A Q&A will follow.
2. Tai Chi in Brooklyn: Yang Style 24 Form. Go to Embracing the Moon, 421 5th Ave, and learn the complete Yang Style 24 Tai Chi Chuan Form in this ongoing weekly class. Yang style is the most widely practiced style of Tai Chi in the world, best known for its large, open postures; soft, flowing movements; and slow, even pace. The more you practice this form, the more satisfying it becomes.
3. Special Exhibit: John Singer Sargent Watercolors. Head to Brooklyn Museum for this landmark exhibition which provides a once-in-a-generation opportunity to see Sargent's stunning watercolors from the collections of both the MFA, Boston, and the Brooklyn Museum. A special section of the show will explore new discoveries about the artist's technique made during exhaustive studies conducted by conservators at the two museums.
4. Creative Writing at Gumbo. Children ages seven to 10 get helpful writing hints from Debbie Officer every Tuesday through March 1. $120 per session. Mom or dad can shop in the retail area while they wait for little Hemingway to finish.
5. Make sure to move the car. Alternate side parking rules are in effect.