20 Aug 2014
77° Partly Cloudy
Patch Instagram photo by cvfd14154

Candle Causes Fire in Cortlandt Manor

Mohegan volunteer firefighters extinguished a fire at 14 Puckey Dr. in Cortlandt Manor earlier this evening. The house was empty when the fire started.

A candle started a fire started inside a home on 14 Puckey Dr. in Cortlandt Manor earlier today.

Mohegan firefighters said they received an automatic alarm for the fire at about 6:15 p.m. The home was empty at the time of the fire, according to Mohegan fire Chief Brian Wolert.

When they arrived, they saw flames shooting through a window in the kitchen area. Firefighters gained access to the home and were able to extinguish the fire in a short amount of time.

Firefighters stayed at the scene to ventilate smoke from the house. The fire was caused by a candle that was inside a menorah on the kitchen table.

The residents of the home were able to return inside for the night, according Wohlert.

Wohlert warned residents this holiday season to make sure they don’t leave candles unattended.

Mohegan had 25 firefighters and two fire engines at the scene. No injuries were reported Tuesday night.

Share This Article