20 Aug 2014
63° Clear
Patch Instagram photo by cvfd14154

Fire Destroys Mohegan Lake Home, Leaves Family Homeless

Fire Destroys Mohegan Lake Home, Leaves Family Homeless
Dozens of firefighters battled a house fire at 4 Regina Avenue in Mohegan Lake that left a family homeless during a snow storm Tuesday night.

Firefighters initially thought there was a woman trapped inside the home, but they later learned that the only resident present at the time escaped the home unharmed. Deputy Fire Chief Joe Mayer told News12 that when firefighters got to the scene, the house was fully engulfed. 

Firefighters responded to the scene at 6:20 p.m. Tuesday. 

"The fire was brought under control in approximately one hour and the cause was determined to be accidental caused by an electric space heater," Lake Mohegan Assistant Fire Chief Christopher Beyrer told Patch.

The extreme cold, snow and high winds made working conditions difficult, Beyrer said.  

Share This Article