It's Thursday, Dec. 23.
The Big Guy in the red suit is scheduled to arrive sometime late Friday or early Saturday and you don't want to be lying awake worrying about your holiday decorations.
Take some time today to look over your electrical connections to ensure a safe holiday:
1. The recommends you don't overload electrical cords and sockets. You should make sure your wiring is UL (Underwriters Laboratory) tested and approved. Indoor lights should be used only indoors; outdoor lights only outdoors.
2. You're going to be busy over the next few days. Water your live tree today by filling the stand with fresh water. A healthy tree soaks up a lot of water. And a watered tree is less likely to catch fire. For these and additional safety tips, follow this link:
3. Lots of area churches, including , , are preparing for one of their biggest days of the year. Many need help decorating their altars and sanctuaries with appropriate flowers and greenery. It's a great way to connect with neighbors and tap your artistic side.
4. For our seniors, it's a good day to take a break. offers lunch to Nassau seniors at noon Thursday at the Jamaica Avenue School. Suggested donation is $2.00.
5. There's always last-minute shopping: Most area stores and shopping malls are open late Thursday night. They generally close around 6 p.m. on Friday, so time is running out.
Do you have an event or topic that should appear in this column? Add it to the calendar or send us a