The Town of North Hempstead is offering evening community-based office hours beginning in May when residents can meet with building department representatives.
The sessions mark the second time this year that the town has provided mobile hours. The arrangement enables residents to meet with the town's "applicant advocate" and its mobile building department unit. Residents can also discuss questions and concerns about their application at these meetings.
“This service proved to be very useful earlier this year by giving residents a convenient forum to ask questions about a specific permit or a general question about the Building Department,” Bosworth said, in a statement.
“By bringing this service right into the community after office hours, it provides greater accessibility for our residents,” she added.
The applicant advocate was hired as the supervisor’s representative at the beginning of January to provide residents with what the town describes as "a more customer-friendly experience in the building department. " The advocate is tasked with assisting residents in navigating the permit process.
The town also held mobile office hours in February and March.
Upcoming mobile office hours, from 6-8pm, are as follows
- Monday, May 5, Manhasset Public Library, 30 Onderdonk Avenue, Manhasset
- Tuesday, May 6, “Yes We Can” Community Center, 141 Garden Street, Westbury
- Monday, May 12, Shelter Rock Public Library, 165 Searingtown Road, Albertson
- Tuesday, May 20, Port Washington Public Library, 1 Library Drive, Port Washington
- Wednesday, May 28, Hillside Public Library, 155 Lakeville Road, New Hyde Park
Residents are asked to bring any relevant information or documentation relating to a building department application.
For more information, call 311 or (516) 869-6311 when calling from outside the town.