Jul 29, 2014

Crimes Nearby: Arrest Follows 200-Person Brawl in Southampton

Also, a Hampton Bays man reportedly tried bribing a man in jail for a favorable testimony, but was caught.

Crimes Nearby: Arrest Follows 200-Person Brawl in Southampton


• A cleaning woman led police to close two burglary cases straddling police jurisdictions last week.

The woman's son Daniel D. Monteiro, 24, of Southampton, was charged in both cases on Dec. 3, after admitting to the burglaries during questioning, East Hampton Village Police Detective Sgt. Matthew Bennett said on Tuesday.

Monteiro, a student at Stony Brook University, had access to keys to both properties — one on Lilly Pond Lane in the village and another on Talkhouse Walk in the town police department's jurisdiction— and knew the alarm codes, but made it look like break-ins, Bennett said.

"It was obvious somebody knew the properties," Bennett said, adding Monteiro has appears to have a drug problem and needed the "quick cash."

• A 16-year-old East Hampton boy was arrested on a fourth-degree grand larceny charge, which is a felony, at police headquarters in Wainscott on Dec. 3. Earlier that day, at about 12:30 p.m., the defendant reportedly stole his mother's MasterCard Direct Express card and went to One Stop Market and took out $100.

He asked a friend to order him a pea coat from J. Crew online and gave his mother's card to pay for the coat. After his mother found out he had the card, she called police to press charges. The boy turned himself into police and was charged at 2:15 p.m. He was held overnight for arraignment and released on his own recognizance. The defendant's name was withheld by police due to the eligibility for youthful offender status.


• Horace Lattimore, 59, of Hampton Bays, was charged on Dec. 4 with bribing a witness in a parole hearing, a felony, as well as aggravated harassment, a misdemeanor.

According to Southampton Police, Lattimore was involved in an altercation with another man in August, who was later arrested and was serving jail time for menacing Lattimore with a hatchet. Police said the man was due for a parole hearing on Dec. 3, and in exchange for a favorable testimony, Lattimore requested sexual favors from his fiancé. When that didn't work, Lattimore reportedly requested $500 cash.

Instead he was arrested, held overnight at Southampton Police Station, arraigned in justice court and released on $500 bail.

• Quogue Village Police have charged a Riverhead man with a felony count of marijuana possession.

According to police, Michael White, 20, was charged on Dec. 7 at 9 a.m. after he was stopped for speeding on County Road 104. Police say upon investigation, they found that White had in his possession over 8 ounces of pot.

Also charged was White's passenger, who police said was slapped with a violation possession of marijuana charge.


• Gerard LePre, 18, of Southold, was charged with petit larceny on Dec. 6 at 1:19 p.m., after Southold Town Police responded to a report from a Salvation Army volunteer that someone stole his bag from under the Salvation Army donation bucket he’d been working next to outside of Mattituck Waldbaum’s, police said.

The volunteer went inside Walbaum’s for a sandwich and an unknown subject stole the volunteer's property, police said. After investigation, the suspect was found to be Lepre who was located in the area of the incident, placed under arrest and transported to Southold Town Police headquarters in Peconic for processing, police said.


• Shauni Ariel Marie Hubbard, 20, of Shirley, was arrested Dec. 8 at 12:23 p.m. and charged with assault in the third degree, a misdemeanor. Police said Hubbard was involved in a fight at 75 Main involving about 200 patrons on Nov. 25.  The 911 call reporting a "large fight" in front of 75 Main came at 3:05 a.m. that day, according to police.

The fighting had begun inside the restaurant, which was holding an 18-and-over event, and spilled out onto the street, police said. Village police said that both Southampton Town and New York State police were called in to help disperse the crowd. Though no serious injuries were reported, several people were taken to Southampton Hospital. Police said more arrests are expected as the investigation continues.

Don’t miss updates from Patch!