Jul 26, 2014

In Rye Brook, Hundreds Still Without Power

Power restoration date is still Nov. 9 at midnight.

In Rye Brook, Hundreds Still Without Power

A message from Rye Brook MayorJoan Feinstein: We have learned that the Con Edison outage map on their web site is not updated on a regular basis.  We have been advised by the Con Edison Municipal Liaison assigned to Rye Brook that there are approximately 500 residents still without power.  The estimated date of restoration continues to be Friday, November 9 at midnight although we anticipate that many will be restored sooner. 

The AJP Community Center located at 32 Garibaldi Place will be open today and tomorrow from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm.  Residents will be able to pick up dry ice but there are limited quantities still available.  Residents can go to AJP to receive information from village staff about what we have been told by Con Edison about restoration efforts, charge their cell phones and lap tops, keep warm and use the computers on site to access the Internet. 

Shelters are located inWhite Plains at the Post Roa School, 175 Post Road and Chappaqua Crossing 480 Bedford Rd (the former Readers' Digest building).  For a full list of shelters, go to the Rye Brook Web Page at  www.ryebrook.org.

In order for Con Edison to accurately monitor which homes are still without power it is important for you to notify Con Edison that your power is still out.  If you see that your neighbor’s power has been restored but yours has not you must also contact Con Edison at 1-800-75CONED. 

The Rye Brook Fire Department would like to remind residents about the following safety tips.

Fire place ashes must be removed in only a metal can and taken outside and stored away from your home.  The ash must be soaked in water.  Do not use cardboard, paper, plastic container or vacuum cleaners to clean up fire place ash.  Hot spots can re-ignite.

Use only approved containers to store gasoline and both caps must be tight.  Gasoline vapors are heavier than air and ignition sources such as sparks from appliances, light switches or pilot lights can ignite the vapors.  Remember to never store gasoline cans inside your home or in your car.

In event of an emergency dial 911.

Don’t miss updates from Patch!