21 Aug 2014
75° Mostly Cloudy
Patch Instagram photo by jarmanwes
Patch Instagram photo by brittterbug26
Patch Instagram photo by whitleymunns
Patch Instagram photo by firedeptclothing
Patch Instagram photo by notorious_ldc
Patch Instagram photo by antecxpresd
Patch Instagram photo by alexjordan08
Patch Instagram photo by antecxpresd
Patch Instagram photo by antecxpresd

Three State Troopers Thwart Possible Jumper

State Police report that three Trooper T officers were able to pull a man down before attempting to jump off the Tappan Zee Bridge early Tuesday morning.

Three State Troopers Thwart Possible Jumper

A 33-year-old year Putnam Valley man is undergoing evaluation at Westchester Medical Center following what State Troopers describe as an attempted jump from the Tappan Zee Bridge early Tuesday morning. 

Officer Osiris Smith, of Troop T, was ending his duty on the southbound lanes of the bridge during the overnight deck replacement work. He had been making his way back to the state barracks in Tarrytown around 5:30 a.m. when he noticed a car stopped on the northbound lanes.

The northbound lanes, reported Sergeant William Collins, were all closed at the moment as construction work was finishing up and equipment being removed. The man "must have been one of the last cars on before they closed all lanes," Collins said. 

Apparently, the man took the opportunity of a nearly empty bridge to pull over and begin climbing the railing. Immediately, Trooper Osiris saw him, got out of his car on the southbound side, crossed over to the northbound side, and "attempted to stop him," Collins said. 

Two other Trooper T officers at the Tarrytown barracks, David Katz and William Suchosky, responded to Oriris' call for support within seconds.

The whole event, said Collins, was over in a matter of a minute and a half to two minutes. 

Collins said Trooper Smith was talking to the man to hold his attention until Katz tackled him to bring him down from the railing. Suchosky and Katz were then able to put him into custody and bring him to headquarters. 

From there, the man was taken to the county medical center in Valhalla for evaluation. 

"This is one of them that ended well," Collins said. 

Share This Article