As a blizzard is heading towards Brookhaven Town Friday evening into Saturday, officials are urging residents to take "common sense" precautions before the storm.
Town officials sent out a list of recommended preparation tips and safety advice for residents:
- Stay off the roadways.
- Park vehicle in your driveway to allow snowplows and emergency vehicles to pass.
- Clear off fire hydrants in your area.
- Remove ice and snow from steps, sidewalks and walkways.
- Keep cell phones and other electronics charged.
- Have a battery-operated radio and flashlight ready in case of a power outage.
- When shoveling, dress in warm layers and avoid over-exertion.
- If you must drive, make sure tires are properly inflated and windshield wipers are working properly.
- Keep pets indoors
- Check on sick or elderly friends and neighbors.
- Check the local radio or news for weather updates and notifications.
More tips on preparing for the blizzard can be found at www.redcross.org.
The town will be providing weather update, emergency notifications and contact numbers on its website throughout the blizzard. To sign up to have emergency notifications sent to your e-mail, visit the town's website.
Residents can also call 631-451-TOWN (8696) to report snow-related issues, while 911 should be used for police, fire or ambulance emergencies only. Power outages should be reported to LIPA at 800-490-0075 or 631-755-6900.