After the storm
Hurricane Sandy has claimed four lives in the Lower Hudson Valley.
A tree crashed through a home in Pearl River at about 6 p.m. Monday, killing a 51-year-old man and placing his family in the hospital.
In North Salem, a tree came down Monday evening, killing two middle school-aged boys.
A motorist on the Sprain Brook Parkway in Greenburgh died due to storm conditions Monday evening, as well, according to state police.
The storm—an amalgam of several foul weather patterns—brought its worst rains and winds through the region between 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. Monday.
The National Hurricane Center was no longer labeling Sandy a hurricane as of 7 p.m. Monday, as it teetered on the edge of the northeast coastline—but the squall still held amazing power.
Nearly all municipalities in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam declared states of emergency, with evacuations in effect in Port Chester, Piermont, Yonkers and other villages and cities. Hundreds of thousands throughout the three counties will be without electricity for up to a week, power companies have said.
Roads Tuesday afternoon were populated by emergency vehicles, branches and debris; the Tappan Zee Bridge closed for several hours due to whipping winds.
For the latest on everything Sandy, stay with Patch.
From the Village of Scarsdale: Hurricane Sandy is expected to arrive in Scarsdale on Sunday evening, intensifying Monday morning and will continue through Tuesday. Rainfall amounts of at least 4 to 6 inches are possible and will be accompanied by Tropical Storm force winds in excess of 50 mph.
Residents and businesses should prepare for flooding, power outages and road closures. Advance storm preparations should include the following:
- Assemble a disaster supply kit with non-perishable food, water, medical supplies, and prescription drugs;
- Maintain important documents in a waterproof container;
- Secure or bring in outdoor furniture, grills and loose items in your yard;
- Have supplies of batteries, flashlights and a battery operated radio;
- Be sure that your car is full of gasoline prior to the storm.
Contact Con Ed directly at 1-800-75-CONED if you experience a power outage. Calling Con Ed directly will allow for your power loss to be registered into their computerized database.
Use 911 only to report true emergencies (including fire, down power wires and persons in distress). The Scarsdale Police Department can be reached at 722-1200 for non-emergencies.
DO NOT APPROACH ANY DOWNED WIRES.
Non-emergency storm related issues (including flooded roadways and downed trees) can be reported to the Department of Public Works during business hours at 722-1150.
For additional information throughout the storm, please check your television news and radio stations as well as the Village website. Depending on the impact of the storm the Village will issue advisories via our emergency communication system. These alerts are sent to your home telephone number. If you would like to add other points of contact please edit your information via the link above “Emergency Notification.”
Jim Killoran at Habitat for Humanity of Westchester says they will be helping those in need with storm repairs after Sandy and anyone could contact them for help. Habitat for Humanity of Westchester
Closures, Road Closures and Power Outages
- The Bronx River Parkway will close at 6:00 a.m. Monday.
- The Holland Tunnel and Hugh Carey Tunnel are closing at 2 p.m. Monday.
- The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) will begin the orderly suspension of all subway, bus and commuter railroad service at 7 p.m. Sunday to protect customers, employees and equipment from the approach of Hurricane Sandy.
- All Westchester County Parks close as of Sunday night and remain closed on Monday and Tuesday. This includes the County Center in White Plains and the Playland Ice Casino in Rye.
- All Bee-Line and Para-Transit service is suspended (as of 9:00 p.m. Sunday) until further notice.
- Tappan Zee Bridge speed limit cut to 35 mph due to high winds. If winds reach 60 mph or more the bridge will be closed to traffic.
Cancellations and Rain Dates
- Scarsdale Storm Cancellations
Scarsdale Public School District: Schools are closed Monday-Wednesday.
- Scarsdale Public Library: Closed Monday-Tuesday.
- Hudson Valley: Section 1 playoff competition Monday and Tuesday postponed.
- Westchester County: Because of the threat of inclement weather, the regular meeting of the Westchester County Board of Legislators (BOL) scheduled for Oct. 29 has been changed from 7 PM to 11 AM.
- Westchester County: The scheduled celebration of Italian Heritage Month planned for Monday evening before the BOL meeting has been postponed. A new date for the celebration has not been decided yet.
- Westchester County: The veterans town hall scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 30 is cancelled. It will be rescheduled for a later date.
- VA Hudson Valley Health Care System – All Outpatient Clinics will be closed, Tuesday, October 30.
- White Plains Veterans Center will be closed, Tuesday, October 30.
- NY Stock Exchange: Closed on Tuesday.
Patch's Full Coverage
- Share Hurricane Sandy Photos On Scarsdale Patch
- Scarsdale Mayor Declares State of Emergency
- Share Hurricane Sandy Photos on Scarsdale Patch
- Live Chat Hurricane Sandy with Patch
- Scarsdale Village Issues Third Sandy Update
- Astorino: County to Begin Picking Up the Pieces
- [UPDATE} Hurricane Sandy: Number of People Using Shelters Rises with Storm's Intensity
- Astorino: Awaiting 'Disaster' Declaration
- IN PHOTOS: Sandy's Damage Around Scarsdale
- Hurricane Sandy: The Aftermath In Scarsdale
- Indian Point Reactor Shuts Down During Sandy
- Storm Damage in Greenacres [PHOTOS]
- Metro North Service Still Suspended for Today
- Red Cross 'Passion' Helps Port Chester Through Storm
- Tuesday Morning: 163K Without Power in Westchester
- Police: Yonkers Motorist Dies on Sprain
- Pearl River Man Killed By Tree; Family Injured
- Indian Point Officials: Ready For Sandy
- Scarsdale Village Issues Updated Alert
- IN PHOTOS: Hurricane Sandy In Scarsdale
- Tappan Zee Bridge Closes at 4 p.m.
- United Way Helping Folks During Sandy
- Con Edison Ready for 'Record-Size Outages'
- Astorino: Now is the Time to Evacuate
- Scarsdale: The Calm Before The Storm
- Hurricane Sandy: Hudson River Rising
- TZ Bridge Speed Reduction; Possible Closure
- [UPDATED] Red Cross Opens Five Emergency Shelters in Westchester
- Attorney General Warns Against Price Gouging
- Scarsdale Prepping For Hurricane Sandy
- Residents Prepare for Sandy's Onslaught [PHOTOS]
- How You Can Prep For Hurricane Sandy [VIDEO]
- Cuomo Declares State of Emergency for New York
- NYS Thruway Preps for Hurricane Sandy
- Astorino Urges Residents to Prepare for Storm
- Video: MTA Prepping for Storm
- Storm Preparation: Do You Have A Checklist?