Every year we resolve to eat healthier, exercise more and finally get in shape. Too often, we end up right back in our hustle and bustle routine and our resolutions fly out the window. You've got another chance. Visit one of these spots and you'll be sure to feel great knowing your good intentions haven't gone to waste.
Whether you want to walk on a treadmill, get some deep relaxation with yoga, or finally find out what Zumba is, whatever your desire or budget, you'll be sure to find a place to get your New Year off to a healthy start.
• Evolution Fitness opened on Southampton Village's Hill Street in 2011, with top-of-the-line gym equipment and cutting edge classes. Sign up for a membership to get in shape in 2013.
• Get into the habit of doing yoga at Yoga Shanti in Sag Harbor to de-stress while you get fit.
• Choose was a variety of classes and services at the Southampton Hospital Wellness Institute, which has locations in Southampton Village and Hampton Bays. This institute offers physician-supervised weight loss, massage therapy, acupuncture, cognitive screenings, nutritional counseling and other services.
• Looking for a full fitness assessment, private personal training, in-home training or bootcamp classes? Contact JT Personal Fitness. JT is right on Main Street in Southampton.
• The Hamptons Gym Corp has three locations including Southampton Gym, Sag Harbor Gym and East Hampton Gym. They have an extensive offering of classes ranging from "Ropes Gone Wild" to "Gentle Yoga" as well as excellent fitness equipment in spacious locales.
• For small group classes, private or semi-private training, visit the unique fitness environment created by owner Jim O'Hagan at Core Dynamics at 58 Deerfield Road in Water Mill. Classes include Pilates mat, indoor cycling, strength and conditioning, yoga and flexibility. Get in touch at 631-726-6049 for more information.
• Think out of the box. Trying a completely new sport may be the way to activate your New Year's resolution. Harbor Martial Arts of Sag Harbor offers classes for all skill levels. For more information, call 631-725-5425.
• If you are looking for a reasonably priced gym, try Planet Fitness in Hampton Bays. The gym is famous for being a "Judgement Free Zone," so it may be the perfect spot to get your New Year's resolution off the ground. The gym is undergoing a renovation for improved services.
• Southampton Youth Services (SYS) is not just for kids. If you aren't familiar with SYS yet, 2013 is the perfect time to check it out. With reasonably priced memberships, a weight room, squash courts, basketball courts, an indoor track and a wide range of activities and fitness classes for adults as well as classes, camps and activities for children, you are sure to find a way to get yourself and your family motivated and fit.
• Yoga is the ideal way to get fit both mentally and physically — a true holistic workout. Start out 2011 on the right mat, and visit Ananda Yoga and Wellness Center. Ananda has a wide variety of classes and times, so you are sure to find something that fits your busy schedule.
Where else can you go to get fit in the Southampton area? Please leave your suggestion in a comment below.