Jul 30, 2014
Partly Cloudy

Crimes Nearby: Sag Harbor Village Website Hacked, FBI Notified

Also: Mattituck woman driving with 17-month-old arrested on felony DWI charge.

Crimes Nearby: Sag Harbor Village Website Hacked, FBI Notified

The following information was supplied by the East End police departments. A criminal charge is only an accusation and does not indicate guilt.


• Sag Harbor Village police have notified federal authorities, as well as the county, to investigate the hacking of the village government's website on the eve of the 12th anniversary of 9/11. 

The "Web Soldiers Team from the Islamic Electronic Army," linked to Al Qaeda, were allegedly were behind the incident, according to  The Sag Harbor Express,  which first reported the story

The website for the  East End Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Center in Riverhead was also hijacked on Tuesday, but no police report seems to have been filed. 

• A woman who purchased a home over the summer on Mid Ocean Drive called police on Sep. 6 to report that more than $5,400 worth of items she had shipped to the home were stolen. The woman reported that she had been shipping valuables to the house in expectation of moving in after Labor Day.  The victim shipped a coffee maker, a toaster, and pots and pans, but when she arrived, she noticed the shipment was missing.

• Someone stole a Cevelo bicycle valued at $5,000 from a backyard in Sag Harbor on Sep. 1. According to police, a tenant renting a home on Cliff Drive reported that while they were out someone entered the backyard and took the bicycle, which was described as white with red striping and a white split seat.


• Some residents in Springs came home earlier this week to find  notices from the East Hampton Town Police Department, warning of criminal activity in their neighborhood. 

Detective Lt. Chris Anderson said on Wednesday that there were three reports of items being stolen from cars on Montauk Boulevard, Seabright Avenue and Hildreth Place.

Over the past few years, there are have been several rashes of larcenies from vehicles. 


• A Mattituck woman was charged with driving while intoxicated with her 17-month-old baby in the car early Tuesday morning in Jamesport.

According to Riverhead Town police, Lindsay Marino, 22, was involved in a single-car accident at 1:27 a.m. on Main Road.

Police said upon arrival at the scene, Marino was out of the vehicle with her baby; the car was located off the road. Emergency medical services were dispatched to the scene; neither mother nor infant was injured, police said.

Upon investigation, police said Marino was charged with driving while intoxicated, a felony, under Leandra's Law, for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated with a child under the age of 15. She was also charged with endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor.

Both mother and child were taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center "as a precaution measure," police said; both were released. Marino was taken to police headquarters and arraigned in the morning. The baby was released to its grandfather, police said.

• A Flanders man was sent to the hospital after reportedly being attacked while walking home near Cypress Avenue on Sep. 8. According to police, the victim was walking to his home on Maple Avenue at around 8:45 p.m. when he said he was approached by five or six men who ganged up on him. The men reportedly pushed him to the ground, and punched him in the head and face. The victim ran off to seek shelter at a house on Silverbrook Avenue until police arrived. The victim said the attack was unprovoked. He suffered substantial pain to his face and was taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead for treatment. No arrests have been made.


• A Greenport man was slapped with a felony charge after police said he was nabbed for driving while intoxicated. 

According to Southold Town police, Rudy Elias, 34, was arrested after he was pulled over on Third Street in Greenport on Aug. 13. Police said Elias was observed making an unsafe lane change; he was found to be intoxicated.

Elias had previously been convicted of DWI so his vehicle was towed to the impound yard at Southold Town Police Department, police said.

Don’t miss updates from Patch!