With snow totals from Snow Storm 'Hercules' totaling 11 inches in some East End areas, at least one area fire department, East Quogue is urging residents as they dig out to also dig out any fire hydrants in your area.
Bulletins were posted on fire department's Facebook page reminding residents to avoid piling snow on or around fire hydrants. If possible, take a few extra minute to 'adopt' your nearest fire hydrant by clearing the snow around it. This improves a fire fighter's ability to quickly locate and access the hydrant in an emergency.
An accessible and properly functioning fire hydrant is a vital part of any firefighting operation.
- Snow & Tell: Send Us Your Pics
- Parts of East End See Up To 11 inches; 'Dangerous' Temps Across Area
- Snow Storm Causes Cancellations and Closures
- Updated Long Island Power Outages
- Southampton Town Declares Limited State of Emergency
- Hampton Jitney Plans to Cancel Some Trips
Be sure to sign up for Patch's e-newsletter by clicking