Summer 2012 has not been a slouch – today will mark the start of this year's third heat wave as temperatures as set to soar up to 90 degrees with high humidity in West Islip today.
After two heat waves earlier this summer that might have caught our area off-guard, this week's three-day heat blast will see high's only grazing the lower 90's with Monday's high around 90, Tuesday's between 90 and 92 and Wednesday around 90. The heat will break late Wednesday afternoon as a cold front pushes through the area and brings temperatures of around 82-84 as a high on Thursday.
Thunderstorms are expected with the cold front on Wednesday and will, in all likelihood, be severe in nature. Storms will push ahead of the front, sucking up the humidity that will be with us until then. Expect lightning, heavy rains and wind gusts on Wednesday afternoon.
As of 9:00 a.m., the National Weather Service has not issued a Heat Advisory for the area. Heat Advisories have been issued for all five counties of New York City. A Heat Advisory is issued when conditions in an area make it feel between 100 and 104 degrees for two consecutive hours.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast
Looking to keep cool? Here are some simple tips on what to do and where to go:
- Light Clothing – Wear bright colors like whites, yellows, etc. and loose fitting clothing to avoid absorbing and maintaining additional heat.
- Keep Hydrated – Keep a cool bottle of water with you. Dehydration can set in quickly and water is obviously the easiest way to keep the body cool.
- Sunblock – Sunblock will not only prevent a sunburn, but allows the skin a small layer to reflect sunlight. It won't keep you much cooler, but it does help.
- Hit the Beaches – All local Town and Village beaches are open for the season. Without a permit, entrance fees range between $15-30 and all open at 10:00 a.m.
- Find Shade Often – If you have to be outside during the day, take five-to-ten minute breaks every hour and sit in the shade. Temperatures tend to be up to 10 degrees cooler there.
- Check the Summer Guide – Need to head somewhere to cool down? Check out our Summer Guide for everything going on around the area today!
Babylon Village Patch will be monitoring the area's weather throughout the day and bring you any updates on potential changes.