Would you love to learn more about farming? Now is the time to register for winter and spring farm education classes and training at Hilltop Hanover Farm and Environmental Center in Yorktown Heights.
As part of the Center for Green Living and Professional Training at Westchester Community College, you can participate in the Agricultural Certificate program offered at the farm this winter and spring.
The certificate curriculum is geared toward those who wish to develop agricultural and entrepreneurial skills, as well as those wishing to enhance their knowledge of vegetable production, and is based on environmentally sound, community-based, small-farm practices. You can take individual classes or enroll in the certificate program.
Classes and schedules are as follows:
- Business and Marketing -- Tuesdays, from now to Jan. 28, 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m., Barn F. Fee $225. Topics covered include buying, selling, processing, grading, storing and marketing of agricultural products.
- Plant and Disease Management -- Thursdays, now to Jan. 30, 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m., Barn F. Fee $225. This course examines the major pests and diseases that impact vegetable production with a focus on cultural, biological, and minimal toxicity methods control.
- Food Justice -- Tuesdays, Feb. 4 - 18, 5:30 p.m. -- 8:30 p.m., Barn F. Fee $225. Food justice purports that all people should have the opportunity to purchase affordable and nutritious food. Discuss ways to eliminate inequalities in food access.
- Spring Crop Production – Saturdays, Feb. 22 - April 5 (no class 3/1, 15 and 29), 9 a.m. – noon, Barn F. Fee $300. Course covers spring organic crop production practices, including vegetables, cut flowers, and culinary herbs, along with variety selection, production methods and record keeping.
- Introduction to Sustainable Agriculture and Soil Science -- Tuesdays, Feb. 25 - March 18, 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m., Barn F. Fee $300. Principles and practices of sustainable agriculture, including botany, composting, irrigation and basic principles of crop production, rotation, and protection.
- Farm Maintenance – Saturdays, March 1 - March 29 (no class 3/8 and 3/22), 9 a.m. - noon, Barn F. Fee $225. Covers fundamental maintenance and repair of farm facilities and equipment. Safe use of hand tools and farm machinery, carpentry, concrete work, painting, plumbing and calculating costs and materials needed for projects.
For information about the program and registration, visit here.
Hilltop Hanover Farm and Environmental Center is located at 1271 Hanover Street in Yorktown Heights. For more information, visit
hilltophanoverfarm.org or call (914) 962-2368.