Jul 28, 2014
63°
Overcast

Decorating Safety Tips from the Strongsville Fire Department

Here are suggestions to prevent fires this holiday season

Decorating Safety Tips from the Strongsville Fire Department

 

The Strongsville Fire Department is urging residents to follow these state-approved safety tips when decorating for the holidays:

State Fire Marshal Larry Flowers said three aspects of decorating -- lighting, live Christmas trees and candles -- can lead to fires.

In fact, one-third of holiday fires are electrical failures, according to the National Fire Protection Association

For lights:

• Check for damage before putting up each strand.

• Only buy lights that are UL approved.

• Don't string too many strands together.

• Don't run extension cords under rugs.

• Never use outdoor lights indoors

• Turn all lights off when you leave or go to bed.

For trees:

• Get a fresh tree and keep it watered. Once it gets dry, throw it out. 

• One in five holiday fires start because a head source is too close to a Christmas tree.

• Don't block your escape route with a tree or presents.

For candles:

• Never leave a lit candle unattended, even for a minute.

• Don't place lit candles on or near a Christmas tree.

Don’t miss updates from Patch!