15 Sep 2014
48° Clear
Patch Instagram photo by patch
Patch Instagram photo by patch
Patch Instagram photo by patch
Patch Instagram photo by patch

Police Talk Man Off Ledge at Hospital

A hospital employee stood at the top of a multi-story parking garage at St. Mary Medical Center Wednesday afternoon causing a large police response.


A man in blue St. Mary Medical Center shirt and khaki pants stood on the ledge of hospital's fourth-floor parking garage Wednesday afternoon leading officials to believe he was attempting to jump.

After a nearly two-hour-long standoff with police in Middletown, the older man came down from his breezy perch and was secured by police officers, checked by paramedics and taken from the scene.

Specially-trained officers were able to talk the man down from the ledge, Philly.com reported.

The man was set to retire from his job at the hospital in the near future, several hospital employees and police sources told Patch. Two hospital employees said they believed the man's family had recently suffered health-related issues.

Just minutes before the man stepped away from the ledge, he was spotted holding what appeared to be a cell phone to his ear and holding his other hand to his head.

Kate Snow, a hospital spokesperson, said St. Mary remained opened during the incident and suffered little disruption.

An independently operated childcare center on the hospital grounds was locked down and children were led from the premise and into Core Creek Park, police at the scene confirmed. The center is located near the garage where the man was threatening to jump from.

Concerned parents picked their children up from a staging area in the park that was manned by county park rangers.

Police officers, detectives and trained crisis negotiators from several neighboring departments descended upon the scene shortly before 1 p.m. after the incident was reported.The fire marshal's office, rescue squad and fire police also responded to the hospital to aid officers.

Throughout the ordeal, additional law enforcement personnel in unmarked cars and SUVs streamed in and out of the hospital driveway.

Hospital spokesman Patrick Donohue said the hospital and its staff are keeping the man in their thoughts.

Photo Gallery

Share This Article