22 Aug 2014
75° Mostly Cloudy
Patch Instagram photo by patch

Newtown Man Facing Charges For 'Violently' Biting Off Ear in Barfight

The victim’s ear was found in the parking lot of the Green Parrot, about eight feet from where the altercation happened, police said.

Newtown Man Facing Charges For 'Violently' Biting Off Ear in Barfight

A Newtown Borough man is facing felony charges for violently biting another man’s ear off during a fight at the Green Parrot last month, Newtown Township Police said. 

The victim’s ear, which was “violently torn from his body,” was found in the parking lot of the bar, about eight feet from where the altercation happened, according to police.

In a statement released Thursday, police said a month-long investigation into the incident has led to the arrest of 23-year-old James W. Worthington of Newtown Borough. Worthington is facing a first-degree felony charge of aggravated assault “under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life,” police said.

According to police, the incident happened shortly after midnight on March 18. In addition to losing his ear, which police say is “irreparably damaged,” the victim, a 28-year-old Northampton man, sustained human bites to his face and neck.

Police said Worthington fled the scene before they arrived but during an interview with officials, the victim, whose name was not released, said he and Worthington had mutual friends in common.

Around midnight, the victim and friends decided to leave the bar and began to gather the rest of their group, the victim told police.  “Two of his friends were outside of Green Parrot Irish Pub talking to Worthington, and when the victim approached them it irritated Worthington,” information from police said.

Within seconds of the interaction, Worthington tackled him, took him to the ground and was on top of him, the victim told police. Police say interviews with witnesses provided similar information about the situation. 

The victim was treated by emergency medical services on location and transported to Saint Mary Medical Center for his injuries. 

When police were granted an arrest warrant for Worthington on Monday, they learned he was out of the state. Lou Busico, Worthington’s attorney, addressed the situation in Common Pleas Court and an unsecured bail was set at $150,000, police said.   

Worthington is also charged with: recklessly endangering another person, a second degree misdemeanor and third degree misdemeanor; disorderly conduct; intentionally causing a public annoyance; and recklessly creating a risk when he engaged in fighting, threatening, and violent behavior, which placed the victim, in danger of death or serious bodily injury. 

Aggravated assault as a first degree felony is punishable by a prison term of up to 20 years in prison.

Share This Article