A broken thermometer led to the evacuation of Richboro Middle School Monday morning.
According to Northampton Township Fire Chief Adam Selisker, students were evacuated at 9:05 a.m. after a thermometer containing mercury broke during a science experiment.
Out of an abundance of caution, the classroom teacher pulled the fire alarm, which led to the evacuation of the entire school, Selisker said.
The fire company and a Hazmat unit arrived and determined no mercury had spilled and there was no danger to students, Selisker explained. Students returned to school about an hour later, he said.
Selisker said the school “did a very good job of evacuating the building.”
Council Rock officials said an environmental consultant who came to the school after the incident to do air quality testing determined there was no risk to students.
"After those tests and a close examination of the broken instrument, our environmental consultant determined there were no risks to students or staff in that room or in school as a result of this incident," Council Rock Superintendent Mark Klein said in an email to parents.