Today we remember the late, great Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, a federal holiday in honor of the late civil rights leader.
Many goverment offices are closed Monday, including post office locations in Palmer and Forks townships.
Easton Area School District Students have the day off, but Wilson Area students will be in school, because the school board has designated Monday one of its make-up days from Hurricane Sandy.
- The Palmer Park Mall will operate under normal business hours.
- Most supermarkets, like the Giant and Weis Markets, will be open along with numerous retail outlets like CVS and Walgreens in Forks Township and fast-food businesses in Palmer and Forks townships.
- Forks Township government offices.
- Palmer Township government offices.
- Trash and recycling pickup will be on a holiday schedule, meaning that pickup will be a day later if on the holiday; otherwise on a regular schedule.
- The Easton Area School District is closed. Schools resume Tuesday.
- Ace Hardware in Forks Township will be open, but its post office will be closed.
- Northampton County offices.
- The District Justice court of Judge Jacqueline Taschner.
- The PennDOT Photo License Center on Route 248.
In neighboring Easton, several events are scheduled, including:
- The Greater Shiloh Church's annual celebration, scheduled for 3 p.m.
- The Easton Area Community Center will host a day of service from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., with kids making art projects, creating gift bags for children in New Orleans, and seeing performance by drama and dance students from Northampton Community College.
- The Easton Boys & Girls Club will also run a day of service from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. at its South Side center. Club members will watch a documentary about King, as well as Easton filmmaker Gershon Hinkson's anti-bullying movie The Turtle and the Nightingale. There will also be arts and crafts, a talk about stopping violence, and a basketball tournament. (For more information, see the attached PDF.)