Crossing guards for Parkland School District will be among dozens of participants in a free day-long safety training program to be held at the municipal building in March, according to Lehigh Valley Live.
Upper Macungie is one of six municipalities statewide where the Pennsylvania Safe Routes to School Program is providing training for the first time, according PennDOT.
The training will include information on:
- State and federal law and regulations
- Roadway hazards
- Characteristics of children - behavior, physical capabilities
- Crossing guard qualifications, roles, and responsibilities
- Crossing guard equipment and attire
- Crossing guard positioning
- Crossing guard procedures
Many crossing guards are community, parent or teacher volunteers who may receive little or no training on how to properly and safely fulfill their responsibilities, according to the Safe Routes program website.
Properly trained crossing guards may help to reduce safety or liability concerns while ensuring that motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians follow the rules of the road.