What's better than cornbread with dinner? Nothing that I can think of, honestly. I prefer sweet cornbread over the more hearty, savory kind.
This was delicious and super easy. I made this a few hours ahead of time of a dinner party and it was perfectly timed for dinner. It was the perfect compliement to grilled bratwurst and mac and cheese, and perfectly paired with my .
I highly suggest, making this for your next dinner party or family gathering instead of rolls, as a nice surprise for your guests.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease an 8x8x2 baking pan.
- Blend the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Add the butter, cubed into ½-inch cubes. Blend until the butter is reduced to tiny pieces and the mix looks like sand. Set dry mixture aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk in the buttermilk, sour cream and eggs until blended.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until moistened.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until tester comes out clean and top is golden brown.
- Serve warm and refrigerate the leftovers.