It's the coldest weather we've seen in some time — and it will stay below freezing until Friday's forecasted high of 38 degrees.
Today's high will top out at 25. Winds will remain calm, but temperatures will still feel bitterly cold.
Here are some tips, courtesy of the National Weather Service, to keep in mind during this Arctic cold.
1. Minimize outdoor activities, especially for the elderly and very young.
2. Dress in several layers of loose-fitting clothing rather than a single layer of heavy clothing.
3. Wear a hat, mittens and waterproof boots. Cover your mouth with a scarf to protect your lungs.
4. When using heating sources such as fireplaces, wood stoves and space heaters, be sure to ventilate them correctly.
5. Test smoke alarms and keep carbon monoxide detectors handy.
6. Bring pets out of the cold. Don't assume they can handle the cold. If you are not warm, they are not either.