As blizzard conditions worsen and winds begin to pick up, Governor Lincoln Chafee has restricted motor vehicle travel on several major highways beginning at 5 p.m. tonight.
The highways are:
Routes I-95, I-195, RI-146, RI-24 and I-295.
The restriction will continue until further notice.
Exceptions are being made for the following:
- public safety vehicles and workers, including contract personnel;
- public works vehicles and workers, including contract personnel;
- government officials on official business;
- utility company vehicles and workers;
- health care workers who travel to and from work in order to provide essential health services;
- news media;
- travel necessary to maintain and deliver critical private sector services such as energy, fuel supplies, financial systems and critical commodities;
- travel to support business operations that provide critical services to the public, including gas stations, food stores and hardware stores.
Click HERE for the latest storm-related news and updates affecting Cranston residents.
Want the latest breaking Cranston-specific news sent to you automatically? Subscribe to the Cranston Patch daily and breaking newsletters!