How do you give the gift of life?
The Rhode Island Blood Center, has announced three upcoming blood drives in Johnston. The blood center is the only source of blood and blood products for the hospitals’ of Rhode Island while also serving customers in Massachusetts and Connecticut, according to their website.
Drive Date: 2/5/2013 - 3:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Address: 2738 Hartford Avenue, Johnston, RI 02919
Drive Date: 2/13/2013 - 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Address: 1577 Atwood Avenue #1, Johnston, RI 02919
Drive Date: 2/25/2013 - 2:00 pm - 8:00 p.m.
Address: 39a Putnam Pike, Johnston, RI 02919
The center reports that while most people are eligible to donate blood, only a small percentage of people actually do. Many people defer themselves before even trying because they believe they're too old, on medication, or some physical condition will disqualify them from donating. In most cases that's not true.
In general, you need to be:
- in good health
- 16 years of age, with no upper age limitations.
- 16-year-old donors must weigh 130 pounds, and present a signed parental permission form, which can be found under the 16-year-old area of the "Can I Donate" section of our web site.
- 17-year-olds must weigh 110 pounds and are not required to present a signed parental permission slip, unless their particular school requires it.
Most medications do not keep individuals from donating, nor does:
- A tattoo if it was applied in a licensed establishment by a licensed practitioner and is healed and pain free.
- A heart attack. Most individuals can donate again once fully recovered.
- A breast feeding mother six weeks after an uncomplicated birth.
Certain travel to areas that may be high-risk for malaria or other diseases may defer donors for specified periods of time. For those donors who are world travelers, it is important for us to obtain certain information such as where you are traveling, how you traveled, and the length of your stay. This will help us to determine if and for how long you may be deferred from donating.
If you are unsure if you're eligible, contact the Blood Center at 401-453-8307.