Here are the (more than) Five Things for Thursday, October 25, 2012:
Not about telephones, so don’t bother Beyonce. The Rotary Club of Wakefield meets at Liliana’s Italian Restaurant at 12:15 p.m. They meet every week, you know, so swing by for fellowship, lunch and a guest speaker.
Fine art and a reception! There is a RE/MAX Flagship Art Reception, at 4 p.m., featuring M.J. Yeager and Peter Keen. And hey, it’s free! Always a plus.
“A pox o’ your throat, you bawling, blasphemous, incharitable dog!” – The Bard. The Contemporary Theater Company puts on The Tempest tonight. Tickets are $20, and the show is at 7 p.m.
Author Norb Vonnegut speaks! It’s free, from 7 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. at Maury Loontjens Memorial Library.
“Alone. Yes, that’s the key word, the most awful word in the English tongue. Murder doesn’t hold a candle to it and hell is only a poor synonym.” – Stephen King. Here are today’s scary fun times:
- Dracula: The Vampire Original plays at 2 p.m. at the Courthouse Center for the Arts. Tickets are $25.
- The Haunted Courthouse takes over the Courthouse Center for the Arts at 6 p.m. Admission is $10.
- The Pettaquamscutt Historical Society presents “The Haunts of Little Rest Hill” at 7:30 p.m. The cost is $15.
“To summarize the summary: Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.” – Douglas Adams. Here are today’s government meetings:
- Narragansett Probate Court meets at 10 a.m. at town hall.
- Narragansett Municipal Court meets at 6 p.m. at town hall.
- The South Kingstown Affordable Housing Collaborative Committee meets at 7 p.m. at town hall.
- The South Kingstown Economic Development Committee meets at 7 p.m. in a conference room at town hall.
Oh no! Maybe there seriously aren’t that many events today, given that it’s Constitution Day in Lithuania. As a result, our events calendar for today is a bit barren. If you’re having an event, please let us know in the comments. Also, make sure it isn’t left out in the future – Submit it via this link (as long as you’re logged into your Patch account).
Sign up for our daily newsletter! Hey, I realize we have a lot of neat features and knick-knacks on the site, so it can be confusing to keep up with it all. Want just one simple, easy to read daily digest? Sign up for our e-mail newsletter here then. It comes out between 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. roughly, every single day of the week. Amazing, I know!
Just like Footloose! On this day, the Archbishop of Dubuque, Francis J.L. Beckman, denounced swing music as a “degenerated musical system.” This was back in 1938, by the way.
Still knockin’ the Bambino on his ass – he’ll always have 2004. Happy 41st birthday to Pedro Martinez! I saw you pitch once in person at Fenway, and it was electrifying and awesome.
Want to be e-mailed when we have a new Five Things? Click the “keep me posted!” button below. For our full list of events for today, click here.