The Fairfax County Sheriff's Office partnered with Wednesday to provide 24 children who are homeless with a back-to-school shopping spree.
Now in its 19th year, Shop with a Sheriff pairs deputies and other Sheriff's Office staff with school-aged children temporarily residing at the Katherine K. Hanley Family Shelter in Fairfax and the Patrick Henry Family Shelter in Falls Church.
"The deputies and Sheriff's Office staff themselves generate contributions from local businesses and individuals to fund this annual event," said Braddock District Supervisor John Cook. "It is a great contribution to the community."
The children ranged in age from kindergarteners to young adults, and enjoyed the company of the deputies and staff as much as the shopping.
Those who contributed to the event included:
- Target - Burke, VA
- Montessori of Chantilly - Casa dei Bambini
- Panera - Lee Highway/Fairfax, Fairfax City, Vienna
- Fairfax Sheriff's Association
- Fairfax Deputy Sheriff's Coalition IUPA Local 5016
- Fairfax County Black Law Enforcement Officers' Association
- Liberty Mutual Insurance - Alexandria
- Kelli Shobe, Realtor
- S. Scott Avery - Avery-Hess, Realtors
- James and Linda Wilson
- Jake Lundsford
- Hard Times Cafe - Fairfax
- The Green Turtle - Fairfax
- Romano's Macaroni Grill - Fairfax
For information about supporting Shop with a Sheriff, contact Captain Stacey Kincaid via email or at 703-246-3673. [TTY for hearing impaired is 711.]