All Fairfax County public schools will be closed on Wednesday, Jan. 22. Offices will open at 12 noon. An unscheduled leave policy is in effect for the afternoon.
The following activities in schools and on school grounds are canceled:
- extracurricular activities
- interscholastic contests
- team practices
- field trips
- middle school after-school programs
- professional learning and training courses
- all adult and community education classes
- recreation programs and community use by outside groups not affiliated with FCPS
School Age Child Care (SACC) centers are closed.
As snow continued to pour in Northern Virginia on Tuesday afternoon, parents and students began wondering whether the storm would impact class schedules Wednesday, Jan. 22.
Remaining snow may not be the only issue for students. The current forecast for Wednesday morning in Fairfax suggests very cold temperatures as students are expected to begin the trip to school. The temperature could be 5 degrees, but a wind chill will make it feel like -14 degrees.
Fairfax County will not make an announcement if there is no change to the schedule. If there is a delay or closure, the first alert goes up on the district website and at the FCPS Facebook page.
Also, you can find alerts:
- Posted on Twitter.
- Posted on TV Channel 21 (Cox Communications, Reston Comcast, and Verizon cable customers only).
- Sent via e-mail to parents, employees, and KIT Plus subscribers of Delayed Openings and School Closings through the Keep in Touch e-mail notification system.
- Called in to area radio and television stations.
- Sent via text message to Keep in Touch Plus subscribers who have opted to receive Delayed Openings and School Closings.