Oprah Winfrey is coming to Arlington Saturday, April 5 to headline a fundraiser for community leader Lavern Chatman, who is running for Congress, the campaign announced Tuesday. Chatman is one of 10 Democrats running for the seat open in Northern Virginia's 8th congressional District.
The campaign will release more details about the fundraiser in the next week, according to a spokeswoman.
“Oprah is a good friend and we both share a passion for empowering women and girls for leadership," Chatman said in a news release. “I’m delighted she is coming to town to help with my congressional campaign.”
“This event with Oprah is another big momentum boost for our campaign," she said. "To win a race like this, you need a lot of support and a strong grass roots effort. Our campaign is off to a tremendous start. We have inspired new volunteers and re-engaged many voters."Winfrey, known simply as "Oprah" to many, is a TV pioneer, a magazine founder, a film producer, a Broadway producer, an award-winning actress and a philanthropist.
Chatman has run nonprofit community-based programs, including serving as the former president and CEO of the Northern Virginia Urban League. She founded the NOVA Coalition with dozens of faith-based and non-profits to increase voter participation, and was co-founder of an innovative intergenerational mentoring program The Grandfathers Group. The event will feature several prominent leaders speaking on women’s issues, globally, nationally and in the 8th District of Virginia.
- Alexandrians Mark Levine, Derek Hyra Enter Race for Congress
- Community Leader Lavern Chatman Enters Congressional Race
- State Sen. Adam Ebbin Announces Run for Congress
- Charniele Herring Enters Race for Congress
- Sickles Joins Growing List of Democrats Seeking 8th Congressional District Nod
- Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille Enters Congressional Race
- Patrick Hope Launches Congressional Campaign
- Report: Don Beyer to Enter Race for Congress
- After Jim Moran: Awaiting a Swarm of Potential Successors