Calls handled by the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria’s Animal Control Officers between April 16-22:
- 900 block of North Kemper Street: Officers responded to the report of an injured fox at the side of a road. Officers took the fox to the animal shelter where they determined that its injuries were severe and it was humanely euthanized.
- 4300 block of Duke Street: Officers responded to assist the Alexandria Police Department at the scene of a resident who was found deceased. Two animals were found at the scene. A dog was released to another family member. A cat was brought to the shelter requiring medical treatment.
- 300 block of Yoakum Parkway: Officers responded to assist the Alexandria Sheriff’s Department with an eviction. A cat was found at the evicted tenant’s residence. The cat was taken to the animal shelter. A responsible party acting on the owner's behalf picked up the cat from the animal shelter the same day.
- 2400 block of Eisenhower Avenue: Officers responded to the report of a raccoon that attacked two persons in an outside dining area. The raccoon approached the patrons and without provocation leapt up and attempted to bite one of the two. Neither patron was injured in the incident. The raccoon could not be located after the incident. A report was taken.
- Unit block of East Maple Street: Officers responded to the report of a resident finding a dog walking along the street unattended. The dog was described as a small un-neutered male black Yorkshire terrier. Officers brought the dog to the animal shelter. An owner was located two days later and the dog was returned.
- 500 block of East Custis Avenue: Officers responded to the report that two dogs in a fenced in back yard got into a fight with a cat. The cat was killed in the incident. A report was taken.
- 300 block of North Patrick Street: Officers responded to the report that a dog was walking along the street unattended. The dog was described as a large un-neutered male black and white German shepherd. The dog was taken to the animal shelter.
- 1000 block of Beverly Drive: Officers responded to the report that a squirrel fell out of a tree and was making loud noises. Officers brought the squirrel to the animal shelter where it was determined that the squirrel was severely injured and it was humanely euthanized.