Welcome to Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2013! Here are a few interesting tidbits about today in history.
1. Baltimore writer Edgar Allan Poe's poem, " The Raven" was first published in the New York Evening Mirror Jan. 29, 1845. Here's a passage:
Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer, "Sir," said I, "or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping, And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you"- here I opened wide the door;
Darkness there, and nothing more.
2. Kansas was admitted as the 34th state on this date in 1861.
3. Famous birthdays: American actor Tom Selleck is 68; talk show host Oprah Winfrey is 59; actor Edward Burns is 45 and U.S. Congressman and 2012 Republican Vice Presidential nominee Paul Ryan is 43.
4. The weather today will be foggy in the morning and cloudy with a high temperature of 53 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. The evening will be drizzly with a low temp of about 46.
5. Have you got your Superbowl party planned yet? Check out our story about local deals here!
Have an awesome day. Incidentally, are you getting the Lorton Patch morning newsletter?