Welcome to Friday, Jan. 18, 2013. TGIF! Here are some interesting facts about today:
1. On Jan. 18, 1903, U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt sent the first transatlantic cable transmission outside the country. His note was for England's King Edward VII, and it read:
"His Majesty, Edward VII, London England - In taking advantage of the wonderful triumph of scientific research and ingenuity which has been achieved in perfecting a system of wireless telegraphy, I extend on behalf of the American people most cordial greetings and good wishes to you and to all the people of the British Empire. - Theodore Roosevelt."
2. On this date in 1990, Washington, D.C. Mayor Marion Barry was arrested for drug possession in an FBI sting.
3. Famous Birthdays: Actor Kevin Costner is 58; Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley is 50 and comedian Dave Attell is 48.
4. Wear some long johns. The weather today will be sunny with a high temperature of 36, according to the National Weather Service. The evening will be mostly clear with a low temperature of 23 degrees.
5. Don't miss tonight's performance of Disney's "The Little Mermaid," at the Family Worship Center, 7719 Fullerton Road in Springfield. Showtime is 7:30 p.m., and tickets cost $12. Click Here for more.