The Virginia High School Cross Country Championships took place recently, with Northern Virginia schools running away with both team and individual victories.
In the 6A Division, the Chantilly boys took top honors, while the Oakton girls took the top spot. The tops five runners in both the boys and girls division hailed from Fairfax, Prince William and Arlington counties.
In the 5A Division, the Stone Bridge boys and the Thomas Jefferson girls placed second. And in the 3A Division, the Brentsville District boys grabbed third place.
Individually, a pair of Fairfax County runners posted the fastest times in the state at the meet. In the boys’ events, Louis Colson, a senior from Thomas Edison, sprinted to a 15:06 finish. In the girls events, Caroline Alcorta, a senior from West Springfield, ran the fastest time with a 17:13. All races are a 5K distance.
In the Boys 6A Division, which took place Nov. 15 at Great Meadows in The Plains, seven schools from Fairfax and Prince William counties finished in the top six spots:
- Lake Braddock
- tie between James W. Robinson and Battlefield
- Osbourn Park
- John Stoney of Oakton with a time of 15:24.
- Alex Corbett of Lake Braddock with a time of 15:35.
- Ryan McGorty of Chantilly with a time of 15:45.
- Nick Causey of Osbourn Park with a time of 15:49.
- Dakota Lange of Chantilly with a time of 15:51.
- 1. Oakton.
- 2. Washington-Lee.
- 3. Lake Braddock.
- 5. West Springfield.
- 6. Battlefield.
- 9. James W. Robinson
- Caroline Alcorta of West Springfield with a time of 17:13.
- Hannah Christen of Lake Braddock with a time of 17:52.
- Katy Kunc of Lake Braddock with a time of 17:59.
- Allie Klimkiewicz of Oakton with a time of 18:01.
- Sarah Angell of Washington-Lee with a time of 18:18.
Schools from Loudoun, Arlington and Fairfax counties in theBoys 5A division, also running on Nov.15, fared well:
- 2. Stone Bridge.
- 7. Thomas Jefferson.
- 8. Edison.
- 9. Broad Run.
And the Girls 5A winners included Loudon and Fairfax schools:
- 2. Thomas Jefferson.
- 3. Tuscarora.
- 6. Potomac Falls.
For complete team and individual results, go to MileStat.com.