Fairfax County Executive Ed Long will unveil Fairfax County's proposed Fiscal Year 2014 budget this Tuesday—one that includes cost-saving measures to fill budget shortfalls, but keeps the tax rate unchanged and increases funding to public schools.
The county faces budget shortfalls of $169 million and $274 million in fiscal years 2014 and 2015, respectively. In order to better prepare for the future, he says, Long will present a multi-year budget plan for FY2014-2015 during the Board of Supervisors regularly scheduled Feb. 26 meeting.
Fairfax County School Board officials intend to ask for an increase of 5.5 percent – or $92.4 million – for a total transfer of $1.77 billion.
During a joint meeting of the two boards in November 2012, Long included an increase of 5 percent – or $84.2 million – in his budget, leaving an $8.2 million gap.
Last year, Long also instructed county agencies to identify reductions of up to 5 percent for the coming year.
Long has also stated publicly county employees should not expect pay increases in FY2014. Last week, a proposed overhaul of the pay structure for county employees was met with criticism from both supervisors and employee union representatives.
Employees were given their first pay increase after a three-year pay freeze in FY2013.
Long is scheduled to present the budget at roughly 10:40 a.m., Tuesday. It will be broadcast live on Fairfax County’s Channel 16.
An online chat regarding the budget will also be held on the county’s website from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Thursday.
Want to get involved? See a list of key dates in the budget process below:
- Release of FY 2014 Advertised (Proposed) Budget Plan, including Multi-Year FY 2014-FY 2015 Budget: Feb. 26 (10:40 a.m.)
- Ask Fairfax Online Chat with county executive: Feb. 28 (9:30-10:30 a.m.)
- Board of Supervisors meeting: advertisement for FY 2014 Tax Rate, FY 2013 Third Quarter: March 5 (10:30 a.m.)
- Board of Supervisors Budget Committee meeting: March 12 (1 p.m.)
- Board of Supervisors Budget Committee meeting: March 18 (2 p.m.)
- Effective Tax Rate hearing in Government Center Board Auditorium: April 9 (3 p.m.)
- Public hearings on FY 2014 Budget in
Government Center Board Auditorium:
April 9 (6 p.m.)
April 10 (3 p.m.)
April 11 (3 p.m.)
- Budget Committee meeting: Pre-Markup: April 19 (2 p.m.)
- FY 2014 board budget markup and approval of FY 2013 third quarter: April 23 (10 a.m.)
- Formal adoption of the FY 2014 Budget: April 30 (10:30 a.m.)
- Beginning of FY 2014: July 1